Adirondack Studios (ADKS) is hiring for positions within its in house fiberglass department for motivated individuals to help us in our constant quest to custom fabricate unique large scale projects for our clients. Of course experience is preferred however we are also willing to train the right candidates if necessary. If you are interested in breaking into this profession at the ground level as well as getting an opportunity to learn a challenging and rewarding composite fabrication skill then this is that chance for the right motivated candidate.
Our company designs, builds, and installs the scenic and themed environments you experience in venues that range from theme parks to casinos, museums, live shows, retail, and public art. We have been in business for over 45 years working with some of the largest companies in to world making their ideas into real life experiences.
At ADKS the position of Composite Technician manufactures the fiberglass reinforced plastic (FRP) parts needed to construct themed entertainment characters and/or scenic elements while following technical specifications in a safe and organized work area. You will get the opportunity to fabricate show scene elements out of the most professional materials and processes available. Typically the work we do includes preparing routed masters, making molds, laying up fiberglass or perhaps liquid casting of parts, manipulating those parts to their final required size and shape as well assembling them onto their support structures, and all the problem solving steps involved in such work. Sculptural talent is also appreciated.
ADKS is looking for dependable, personable individuals who has an eye for quality and are willing to learn. Our “ideal” candidate will have already acquired at least two years’ experience in working with fiberglass and related composite materials in preferably a manufacturing capacity. We are also looking for individuals with experience in silicone rubber and rigid panel fiberglass mold-making. Existing experience is a plus, but we are prepared to train the right individual that displays a willingness to work hard and is enthusiastic about learning a new trade or technique. All candidates should possess the proficiency to yield finished work productively and meet provided deadlines. Any carpentry skills are also a plus.
sents itself so don’t let this one slip by if you think you have what it takes to do this type of work. We are a powerful career building reference out in the world for such custom creative work and make some pretty cool stuff for a lot of interesting locations.
- Work with raw fiberglass resin and similar materials in a safe ventilated environment (PPE provided). These task include waxing mold forms, coating routed masters and molds in preparation for part production as well as actual lay-up either by hand or with special equipment to produce final finished composite parts.
- Construct mold forms and fixtures related to these above described processes.
- Work with open mold casting of specialty parts using epoxy and urethane resin materials.
- Perform all secondary fabrication operations on finished cast fiberglass parts such as demolding, cutting, and grinding as well as sanding surfaces in preparation for painting (PPE provided).
- Assemble finished parts with hardware and/or adhesive attachment to provided support infrastructure.
- Work with plastic sheet goods, thermoforming, and adhesives also related to the above activities.
- Ultimately be trained to work with minimal supervision as a team or solo to complete lay-up, or assist in the fabrication of composite/fiberglass structures per specifications prescribed and drawings/verbal instructions
- Ability to communicate and understand the all issues regarding this type of work to fellow team members and when appropriate to the department supervisor.
- Must be accustomed to physical tasks for long periods of time. This includes, but not limited to, standing, lifting, bending, climbing, using your hands and working with various materials
- Attention to detail and self-inspect work to ensure any imperfections are minimized.
Preferred Skills needed to start:
- Must be dependable and punctual.
- Positive attitude and strong work ethic with a willingness to work both on a team and individually when necessary.
- Enthusiasm to learn and advance your career.
- Promote a safe and clean work environment (including being vocal about what you don’t know to avoid injury).
- Able to follow manufacturing instruction and understand processes.
- Ability to read and understand technical drawings.
- Must practice PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) policies as mandated. (Use of safety glasses/goggles, respirator, hearing protection, etc.)
- Must comply with company, industry and product safety guidelines.
- Maintain daily labor and material use tracking records
- Personal Time accrual of 1 hour for every 30 hours worked immediately upon hire
- Vacation Accrual: 4% of hourly compensation accumulated annually, payable in March of each year or within 30 days of end of employment. Accrual begins after initial 1000 hours worked.
- Participation in ADK Studios 401K plan following 90 days of employment and then at quarterly enrollment periods.
- Participation in ADK Studios Medical, Dental, and Vision plans upon 90 days of full-time employment.
- Participation in ADK Studios Long-Term Disability insurance following 1 year of employment. This is at no cost to the employee.
- Participation in the ADK Studios Profit Sharing Plan following 3 years of employment. Employee must work a minimum of 1000 hours per calendar year.
Please submit: Resume, Portfolio (or website), Cover Letter, and three references when applying.
This position will be headquartered out of Argyle, New York (1 hour north of Albany and 30 minutes from Saratoga Springs).
Adirondack Studios is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified candidates will receive consideration for this full time, hourly position without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, mental or physical disability, genetic information, marital status, citizenship status, military status, protected veteran status or any other category protected by law.
We are sure you will find Adirondack Studios an amazing place to work and we look forward to hearing from you.